Layering and Glazing: The Next Level in Acrylic Painting
Upcoming Workshop Dates
6/3-7/12 2021 Layering and Glazing: The Next Level in Acrylic Painting (online class)
For intermediate to advanced students
Thursdays 10:30am-12:30 Pacific Time,
7 sessions, OSA Member $ 200.00 | Non-Member $ 250.00
Register for this class with Oregon Society of Artists
Would you like to learn to make your acrylic painting look like old masters oil paintings? Then this class is for you. Through a mixture of demos, step-by-step instruction of advanced techniques, slideshow presentations, and painting exercises, you will learn how to combine transparent and opaque layers of paint; how to use subtle glazes to create luminous and subtle colors; understand what combination of colors to use to achieve that old masters oil painting look from Johannes Vermeer to Maxfield Parrish. In addition, you will gain knowledge and skills in the following areas: brushstrokes, color theory, painting details, lighting, and rendering.
For the online class we'll use Zoom videoconferencing system for this painting class. The online class will have slideshow presentations, painting demos, paint along with Wayne, and critiques. Students will have access to download a video file of the painting demo to refer to so they can paint along at home at their own pace.
• Combining opaque and transparent painting
• Preparing surfaces for acrylic
• Applying right combination of color to create a mood your desire
• Create dramatic and subtle color with your own limited color palette
• Layering and glazing
• Choose the right underpainting for your painting.
Bring the following to the workshop:
• A table top or regular easel (a table top easel will be provided for Portland workshops)
• Water spray bottle
• Assortment of rounded brushes: #0, #2, #4, #8
• 2-3 stretched canvases, your choice of width and height between 10”-18”
Bring the following acrylic colors in a tube or jar
• Titanium White
• Yellow Ochre
• Burnt Sienna
• Raw Umber Dark
• Ultramarine Blue
• Gloss Medium and Varnish
Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Red, Mars Black, Permanent Green, Phthalocyanine Blue, Matte Medium
All material will be included when the workshop is at Wayne's Portland home studio.
Who should attend the workshop
• Watercolorists or oil painters who want to “flirt with” acrylic
• Painters of all skill levels
• Anyone wanting to learn Wayne’s acrylic glazing and layering techniques
• Anyone wanting to improve color mixing skills
Workshop Fee: $200-$375 depending on class duration, size, and location
Cancellation policy at Wayne's Portland Studio:
If you need to cancel, notification must be given at least one week prior to the class start date regardless if payment has been sent.
No refunds are given once the workshop starts. If you need to miss a workshop day, you may make up the missing day in any of Wayne's future home workshops within 12 months.
If the workshop is canceled or rescheduled, you will receive an email notification no later than 48 hours prior to the beginning of the workshop. Payments will be refunded.