<< Back to Events Page
Registered students, click here to fill out the Workshop Survey
Sanchez Art Center Presents:
A Workshop with Wayne Jiang
Paint Like the Old Dutch Masters with Acrylic
Sat., Sun., and Mon. October, 9, 10, & 11 10am-5pm
Learn to paint like an old Dutch master
• How to glaze and layer using Wayne’s acrylic techniques
• How to harmonize color using a limited palette
• How to take the best photo reference for painting
• How to use software like Photoshop to help you paint with more confidence
Transitioning to acrylic from watercolor or oil
• Understanding the advantages of acrylic while avoiding its shortcomings
• Combining drawing, collage, photos, and found materials with acrylic
• Approaching acrylic painting from realism to plein air to abstract
Learn best practices in acrylic
• How to prepare a variety of surfaces for acrylic painting
• How to paint on paper, panel, recycled objects, and canvas
• Practical tips for painting with acrylics
Demonstrations Glazing and layering
• Mixed media collage
• Gesso and sanding
• Mixing colors
• Tour of acrylic paintings in a variety of styles
There will be two short painting sessions exploring variations of acrylic techniques. One long painting session will focus on Wayne’s unique glazing and layering techniques. Students will have the choice of painting from live subjects or from photographs.
Students will be provided with written step-by-step instructions and a list of practical tips.
Bring the following to the workshop
• Water spray bottle
• Assortment of rounded brushes: #0, #2, #4, #8
• 2-3 stretched canvases, your choice of width and height between 10”-18”
Bring the following acrylic colors in a tube or jar
• Titanium White
• Yellow Ochre
• Burnt Sienna
• Burnt Umber
• Ultramarine Blue
• Gloss Medium
Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Red, Mars Black, Permanent Green, Phthalocyanine Blue, Matte Medium
Who should attend the workshop
• Watercolorists or oil painters who want to “flirt with” acrylic
• Painters of all skill levels
• Anyone wanting to learn Wayne’s acrylic glazing and layering techniques
• Anyone wanting to improve color mixing skills
About Sanchez Art Center
Sanchez Art Center is nestled in the heart of Pacifica’s Linda Mar Valley, about 1.5 miles due east of Highway 1. The Art Center was created in 1996 by the hard work of many community artists and volunteers who resuscitated an old school building that now houses three galleries, eighteen studios, a ceramic lab, and an art classroom. Our mission is to “create community though art.” We fulfill this mission by offering visual arts programs in four areas: exhibitions, arts education, community engagement, and affordable studio rentals.
To register, to download and printout the following workshop brochure in PDF,
complete the registration form, detach, and mail or fax it to Sanchez Art Center. Make checks payable to Sanchez Art Center.
Sanchez Art Center
1220-B Linda Mar Blvd.
Pacifica, CA 94044
650.355.1894 tel. / 650.355.1752 fax
Maximum class enrollment is 20. Register today!
Home | Paintings | Events | Bio | Blog | Contact | sitemap
© Copyright 2010 by Wayne Jiang. All rights reserved.